The Fourth of July has come and gone as millions witnessed fireworks across this great nation. However, one community in the Lone Star State was left a little baffled and underwhelmed when a fire broke out at a fireworks show.

The WesTex Connect fireworks show was scheduled the day before the nationally observed day of July 4th much to the dismay of many residents. Nevertheless, the show went as planned, even with severely dry conditions in Texas.

ESPN 960 San Angelo logo
Get our free mobile app

What Happened?

As several residents pointed out, the show had several delays due to technical problems with the drone show. Once the fireworks show started, residents were treated to some awesome displays as the sounds of freedom rang through the air.

Photo: Leslie Nielsen
Photo: Leslie Nielsen
loading...

The "oohs" and "aahs"  quickly changed to concern as a fire broke out soon across the horizon and sirens could be heard in the distance. (Check out more photos from the fire in the gallery below.)

Photo: Pichael Perez
Photo: Pichael Perez
loading...

Several folks turned to social media as the fire erupted and posted on our Facebook page with their concerns.

Photo: Facebook
Photo: Facebook
loading...
Photo: Facebook
Photo: Facebook
loading...
Photo: Facebook
Photo: Facebook
loading...

In the end, I am happy to report that no one was injured and damage was minimal as no structures caught fire. Still, it sure made for an interesting Fourth of July holiday and left many residents scratching their heads.

WesTex Connect issued the following statement after the fire assuring residents they took every precaution and praised the quick response of the Abilene Fire Department.

<p>Safety is our priority with the WesTex Connect Fireworks Spectacular. The fire that occurred at the event this year was a brush fire that was contained by the Abilene Fire Department &amp; a rack on one of our own firework trailers. There were no injuries or evacuations needed. No damage was done to the Wylie schools, stadium, or other property.</p><p>We work very closely with the local fire department weeks, days, prior, during, and at the end of each event. Precautions are made and taken very seriously with each fireworks show. Fallout from a show happens every time, small brush fires are common, this is why the fire department is stationed on site in the fall out areas. Grass fires tend to look larger and closer at night. The fire was immediately contained by the Abilene Fire Department. AFD called in extra trucks just as another safety precaution. The fire area was monitored throughout the entire night to make sure hotspots did not cause a fire to reoccur. The Abilene Fire Department will continue to monitor the area just like they do with every fire no matter the size under their protocols.</p><p>We want to thank AFD so much for all they do for the city, their dedication, positive attitude, and professionalism as a fire fighter. While we regret the show was not exactly as planned, we are thankful for the safety of all. We thank our employees and crew who give up their holiday and work tirelessly to bring this show to you each year. We thank Wylie ISD for being a gracious host and allowing us to use their facilities in an effort to bring the Wylie community &amp; the City of Abilene the 2024 Fireworks Spectacular. We thank our community supporters, sponsors, bands, and everyone who attended the event. We also thank those that have sent us positive and encouraging messages and offered to help. You are why we do this!</p>

Again, I'm grateful that nobody was hurt and that nothing was destroyed as this could have been a lot worse than the outcome.

Fire Breaks Out At Fireworks Show In Texas

Gallery Credit: Chaz

 

More From ESPN 960 San Angelo