The Perfect Cowboys Playoff Snack: Trash Can Nachos
It's not very often that the perfect West Texas food item goes viral on TikTok. Trash Can Nachos are having a moment. When you consider the culinary splendor of Trash Can Nachos, it becomes immediately apparent that this dish is the perfect match for the upcoming NFL playoffs.
No matter how many games are left in the Cowboys season, this snack jumps out. It is fully customizable with ingredients that scream "Texas".
Trash Can Nachos are going viral on TikTok. Not only do they contain layers of tortilla chips and delectable toppings, but there is also a twist. This dish has all the excitement of the "Big Reveal". If you do it right, the oohs and aahs that spontaneously erupt when the dish slides out of the can be almost as spirited as a Cowboys touchdown.
Guy Fieri is most often cited as the inventor of this dish. It isn't too different from regular nachos, except the dish is prepared by layering everything in an ordinary tin can, popping it into the oven, and then flipping the can over.
Whatever your favorite nacho ingredients are, they can be incorporated into your very own version of Trash Can Nachos. You can prepare everything from scratch or purchase them pre-made and packaged from the grocery store or a local Mexican restaurant to save time.
Here is the most common recipe.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Start by coating the bottom of the can with a layer of cheese sauce. Next, add a handful of tortilla chips and top with more queso. On top, add layers of beans, pico de gallo, jalapeno, cheddar, and taco meat. Spoon on more cheese sauce, and chips, and repeat the layers until the can is filled to the top.
- Grab a baking sheet and set it upside down on top of the opening of the can. While holding the can firmly to the sheet, invert the two so the baking sheet is flat and the can is bottom-side up.
- Bake the can on the baking sheet in the oven for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. Then, on a serving plate, flip the can upside down and see the gooey nachos fall out. Top with sour cream, guacamole, and lime juice, and enjoy.
This recipe almost guarantees your Cowboys game day party will be a hit. While there are many people in snooty New England or on The West Coast who might turn a nose up at the idea of food inspired by a trash can, here in Texas it suits us just fine.
So would a Dallas Cowboys Super Bowl win.
LOOK: Best Beers From Every State